Last Updated: May 23, 2018
As used in this policy, the term “Processing” means any operation which is performed upon Personal Information, whether or not by automatic means, such as collection, recording, organization, structuring, storage, adaptation or alteration, retrieval, consultation, use, disclosure by transmission, dissemination or otherwise making available, alignment or combination, restriction, erasure, or destruction.
Information Collection and Use by UniversityAcademia.com
Our primary goals in collecting information are to provide and improve our Site, services, features and content, to administer your membership (together, the “UniversityAcademia.com Service”) and to enable users to enjoy and easily navigate the Site.
Personally Identifiable Information
- When you register with us through the Site to become an UniversityAcademia.com Member or when you choose to create your own profile webpage we will ask you for personally identifiable information. This refers to information about you that can be used to contact or identify you (“Personal Information”). Personal Information may include, but is not limited to, your name, email address, telephone number, home and business postal addresses, age, research interests, gender, education and occupation. We use your Personal Information to provide the UniversityAcademia.com Service and administer your inquiries.
- UniversityAcademia.com also collects other information that you provide as part of registration and the administration and personalization of your profile webpage (e.g., without limitation, zip code (on its own) and individual preferences) (“Non-Identifying Information”).
- We use your Personal Information (in some cases, in conjunction with your Non-Identifying Information) mainly to provide the UniversityAcademia.com Service, complete your transactions and administer your inquiries. Providing Personal Information and Non-Identifying Information enables you to derive more benefit from the UniversityAcademia.com Service by helping you share your research via a profile page, find other academics, opportunities, and information; and helps people and opportunities find you. It also enables us to serve you advertising and other relevant content on and off of the UniversityAcademia.com Services.
- Certain Non-Identifying Information would be considered a part of your Personal Information if it were combined with other identifiers (for example, combining your zip code with your street address) in a way that enables you to be identified. But the same pieces of information are considered Non-Identifying Information when they are taken alone or combined only with other non-identifying information (for example, your viewing preferences). We may combine your Personal Information with Non-Identifying Information and aggregate it with information collected from other UniversityAcademia.com Users (defined below) to attempt to provide you with a better experience, to improve the quality and value of the UniversityAcademia.com Service and to analyze and understand how our Site and Academia.edu Service are used. We may also use the combined information without aggregating it to serve you specifically, for instance to deliver a product to you according to your preferences or restrictions.
- We also use your Personal Information to contact you with UniversityAcademia.com updates, newsletters, marketing or promotional materials and other information that may be of interest to you. If you decide at any time that you no longer wish to receive such communications from us, please follow the unsubscribe instructions provided in any of the communications or update your “user preferences” information. (See “Changing or Deleting Information,” below.)
- If you create an Account or log in into your Account using your login credentials from one of your Social Network Site (“SNS”) accounts, such as a Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, Gmail or another e-mail account, or link to your Account one of your SNS accounts, we’ll be able to access and collect your name and email address and other PII and Non-Identifying Information that your privacy settings on the SNS Account permit us to access.
- If you connect with one or more SNS accounts, you give us permission to access and use your profile and contacts information (“Contacts”). Contacts are securely and privately stored within our databases, and associated to your account. Your Contacts are used to personalize the Service, such as suggesting likely co-authors, recommending users for you to follow, and predicting the relevance of news feed stories and notifications.
- We may receive information about you from other sources, including through third-party services and organizations, to supplement information provided by you. As used in this policy, the term “Third Party” is any company, natural or legal person, public authority, agency, or body other than you and UniversityAcademia.com. For example, if you access our Services through a Third-Party application, such as an App Store or SNS, we may collect information about you from that Third-Party application that you have made public via your privacy settings. Information we collect through App Stores or SNS accounts may include your name, your SNS user identification number, your SNS user name, location, sex, birth date, email, profile picture, and your contacts on the SNS. This supplemental information allows us to verify information that you have provided to Academia.edu and to enhance our ability to provide you with information about our business, products, and Services.
Log Data. When you visit the Site, whether as an UniversityAcademia.com Member or a non-registered user just browsing (any of these, an “UniversityAcademia.com User”), our servers automatically record information that your browser sends whenever you visit a website (“Log Data”). This Log Data may include information such as your computer’s Internet Protocol (“IP”) address, browser type or the webpage you were visiting before you came to our Site, pages of our Site that you visit, the time spent on those pages, information you search for on our Site, access times and dates, and other statistics. We use this information to monitor and analyze use of the Site and the UniversityAcademia.com Service and for the Site’s technical administration, to increase our Site’s functionality and user-friendliness, and to better tailor it to our visitors’ needs. For example, some of this information is collected so that when you visit the Site again, it will recognize you and serve advertisements and other information appropriate to your interests. We also use this information to verify that visitors to the Site meet the criteria required to process their requests.
Invitations Via an UniversityAcademia.com Account
As part of the UniversityAcademia.com Service, UniversityAcademia.com Members can invite non-registered friends to join the Academia.edu Service by sending invitation emails through use of their Accounts via our automated invitation system. Academia.edu stores the email addresses that Members provide only for the purposes of sending the invitations, adding respondents to the colleagues list of the Member who sent the invitation, and sending reminders of the invitations (up to three (3) per email address). Recipients of invitations from UniversityAcademia.com
The following is a partial list of suppliers authorized to place cookies on our website:
Users can also express their privacy choices through the following platforms:
Use of Pixel Tags/Web Beacons
A pixel tag (also known as a web beacon) is a piece of code embedded on the Site that collects information about users’ engagement on that web page. The use of a pixel allows us to record, for example, that a user has visited a particular web page or clicked on a particular advertisement.
Social Media Widgets and Platforms
The UniversityAcademia.com Service may also include publicly accessible blogs, community forums, or private messaging features. The Site and UniversityAcademia.com Service may also contain links and interactive features with various social media platforms (e.g., widgets) as discussed above. If you already use these platforms, their cookies may be set on your device when using our Site or UniversityAcademia.com Service. You should be aware that Personal Information which you voluntarily include and transmit online in a publicly accessible blog, chat room, social media platform or otherwise online, or that you share in an open forum may be viewed and used by others without any restrictions. We are unable to control such uses of your information when interacting with a social media platform, and by using such services you assume the risk that the Personal Information provided by you may be viewed and used by third parties for any number of purposes.
We use Third-Party software development kits (“SDKs“), such as the iOS SDK, as part of the functionality of our Services. Third-Party SDKs may allow Third Parties including advertisers to collect your personal information to provide content that is more relevant to you. To exercise the mobile device settings opt-out, please visit the privacy settings of your iOS or Android device and select “limit ad tracking” (Apple iOS) or “opt-out of interest based ads” (Android).
We may also use Google Analytics and Google Analytics Demographics and Interest Reporting to collect information regarding visitor behavior and visitor demographics on some of our Services, and to develop website content. This analytics data is not tied to any Personal Information. For more information about Google Analytics, please visit www.google.com/policies/privacy/partners/. You can opt out of Google’s collection and Processing of data generated by your use of the Services by going to http://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout.
Identity theft and the practice currently known as “phishing” are of great concern to UniversityAcademia.com. Safeguarding information to help protect you from identity theft is a top priority. We do not and will not, at any time, request your credit card information, your account ID, login password or national identification numbers in a non-secure or unsolicited e-mail or telephone communication For more information about phishing, visit the Federal Trade Commission’s website.
Information Sharing and Disclosure
UniversityAcademia.com Members and Viewer Data. We will display your Personal Information in your profile page which may be publicly available on the Site according to the preferences you set in your account. And, in some instances, your personal information is made available by default. Specifically, when you view or download another Member’s Member Content we share your name and a link to your profile page (“Viewer Data“), where available, with that Member if he or she has purchased a subscription to UniversityAcademia.com Premium. The sharing of your Viewer Data is by default via the Services and is a required feature of the Services. By becoming a Member, you are choosing to share Viewer Data with other Members. Any information you choose to provide should reflect how much you want other UniversityAcademia.com Users to know about you. We recommend that you guard your anonymity and sensitive information and we encourage UniversityAcademia.com Members to think carefully about what information about themselves they disclose in their profile pages. You can review and revise your profile information at any time. Please be aware that whenever you voluntarily post information to journals, weblogs, message boards, classifieds or any other public online forums that information can be accessed by the public and can then be used to send you unsolicited communications.
Aggregate Information and Non-Identifying Information.
We may share aggregated information that does not include Personal Information and we may otherwise disclose Non-Identifying Information and Log Data with third parties for industry analysis, demographic profiling and other purposes. Any aggregated information shared in these contexts will not contain your Personal Information.
Service Providers. We may employ third party companies and individuals to facilitate our UniversityAcademia.com Service, to provide the UniversityAcademia.com Service on our behalf, to perform Site-related services (e.g., without limitation, maintenance services, database management, web analytics and improvement of the Site’s features) or to assist us in analyzing how our Site and UniversityAcademia.com Service are used. These third parties have access to your Personal Information only to perform these tasks on our behalf and are obligated not to disclose or use it for any other purpose.
Marketing — Interest-Based Advertising and Third Party Marketing. Through our UniversityAcademia.com Service, we may allow Third-Party advertising partners to set tracking tools (e.g., cookies) to collect information regarding your activities (e.g., your IP address, page(s) visited, time of day). These advertising partners may use this information (and similar information collected from other websites) for purposes of delivering targeted advertisements to you when you visit non-UniversityAcademia.com related websites within their networks. This practice is commonly referred to as “interest-based advertising” or “online behavioral advertising.”
Compliance with Laws and Law Enforcement. UniversityAcademia.com cooperates with government and law enforcement officials and private parties to enforce and comply with the law. We will disclose any information about you to government or law enforcement officials or private parties as we, in our sole discretion, believe necessary or appropriate to respond to claims and legal process (including but not limited to subpoenas), to protect the property and rights of UniversityAcademia.com or a third party, to protect the safety of the public or any person, or to prevent or stop activity we may consider to be, or to pose a risk of being, any illegal, unethical or legally actionable activity.
Links to Third Party Websites
Rights of Access, Rectification, Erasure, and Restriction
Although UniversityAcademia.com makes good faith efforts to provide individuals with access to their Personal Information, there may be circumstances in which UniversityAcademia.com is unable to provide access, including but not limited to: where the information contains legal privilege, would compromise others’ privacy or other legitimate rights, where the burden or expense of providing access would be disproportionate to the risks to the individual’s privacy in the case in question or where it is commercially proprietary. If UniversityAcademia.com determines that access should be restricted in any particular instance, we will provide you with an explanation of why that determination has been made and a contact point for any further inquiries. To protect your privacy, UniversityAcademia.com will take commercially reasonable steps to verify your identity before granting access to or making any changes to your Personal Information.
Email and Telephone Communications
We maintain telephone “do-not-call” and “do-not-mail” lists as mandated by law. We process requests to be placed on do-not-mail, do-not-phone and do-not-contact lists within 60 days after receipt, or such shorter time as may be required by law.
UniversityAcademia.com is very concerned with safeguarding your information. We use reasonable physical, technological, and administrative security measures to protect Member information and attempt to ensure they are applicable under the circumstances. No method of transmission over the Internet, or method of electronic storage, is 100% secure, however, and we cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information you provide to us. We do not accept liability for unintentional disclosure. Therefore, while we strive to use commercially acceptable means to protect your Personal Information, we cannot guarantee its absolute security.
We will make any legally required disclosures of any breach of the security, confidentiality, or integrity of your unencrypted electronically stored “personal data” (as defined in applicable state statutes on security breach notification) to you via email or conspicuous posting on this Site in the most expedient time possible and without unreasonable delay, insofar as consistent with (i) the legitimate needs of law enforcement or (ii) any measures necessary to determine the scope of the breach and restore the reasonable integrity of the data system. For additional information about the security measures we use on UniversityAcademia.com
Your information may be transferred to — and maintained on — computers located outside of your state, province, country or other governmental jurisdiction where the privacy laws may not be as protective as those in your jurisdiction. Your information collected through the Site may be stored and Processed in the United States or any other country in which UniversityAcademia.com maintains facilities.
Our Policy Toward Children
This Site is not directed to persons under the age of 13. We do not knowingly collect personally identifiable information from children under the age of 13. If a parent or guardian becomes aware that his or her child has provided us with Personal Information without their consent, he or she should contact us at [email protected]. If we become aware that a child under the age of 13 has provided us with Personal Information, we will delete such information from our files.
- New Uses of Personal Information. Additionally, before we use Personal Information for any new purpose not originally authorized by you, we will endeavor to provide information regarding the new purpose and give you the opportunity to opt out. Where consent of the individual for the Processing of Personal Information is otherwise required by law or contract, we will endeavor to comply with the law or contract.
California Privacy Rights